There is a good butcher/baker and useful greengrocer/general stores 2 miles away, in Fairbourne. There are numerous shops and 2 small supermarkets in Dolgellau.
There is a local produce market every Thursday morning in Dolgellau. If you would like a selection of local produce left in your cottage ready for your arrival, please contact us by the Wednesday before. Payment will be at cost and on your arrival.
Pdf version: Local Produce List
Local Produce List
From Erw Goed
- Free range eggs (mixed sizes, from our own hens), per ½ dozen £1.50
- Free range duck eggs (when available, from our own ducks), ½ doz £2.00; per egg £0.35
- Honey, clear or set, from our own bees, 8oz £4.00; 12oz £5.50
There will always be a complementary sample jar of honey in the cottage when you arrive.
From Ynysgyffalog Barn Farm http://www.ynysgyffylogbarnfarm.co.uk
Pork, Bacon and Sausages
Please state your preference for pack size, types of bacon, cuts of pork etc, but not all types are always available. If your preference is not available, we will choose something close and give you the option of taking it or not.
Sue prepares the meat every Monday and makes up sausages on Tuesday, so if you would like a particular cut please contact us the week before, or contact Sue and Jim via their website (see above) or by phone 07703 592723 and let them know that you are staying with us and that we will pick your order up from the Thursday Market.
- Arthog Pork Sausages packs of 4 or 6
Different ‘flavours’ of sausage are also available – leek, apple, tomato, cracked black pepper etc – but you’d need to contact Sue (see above) to find out what flavour she is preparing this week. The plain Arthog pork sausages are always available.
- Bacon pack sizes vary, streaky, back, collar and sometimes gammon rashers.
- Pork chops, joints (on and off the bone), steaks (leg and shoulder), trotters and sometimes kidneys and liver etc.
- Burgers are sometimes available.
Why not visit the farm during your stay? See the pigs and other animals and pick up some produce to take home with you. It’s an easy drive away or can be accessed via the Mawddach trail if you are out for a walk or cycle ride from Erw Goed.
From Jacky and Jane at the Thursday Market
- Pies steak and kidney, steak and stout, chicken and veg, chicken and leek
- Quiches cheese & tomato, leek & bacon, sometimes others eg salmon & broccoli
- Sausage Rolls individual rolls or large savoury rolls using Sue’s sausage meat.
- Sponge Cakes Victoria sponge, coffee, lemon, chocolate
- Bara Brith Welsh tea bread
- Welsh Cakes similar to drop scones with fruit
- Loaf Cakes lemon drizzle, harvest fruit, chocolate fudge
- Biscuits Viennese dipped in chocolate, ginger crisps, lemon crisps, choc chip
- Iced Fairy Cakes packs of 6
- Mini Sponges filled but not iced, pack of 6
- Jams and Marmalades
If you are lucky enough to be staying with us during a Farmers’ Market weekend, all these products and more will be available on the Sunday.
There are Farmers Markets on 2nd Sunday (Dinas Mawddwy) and 3rd Sunday (Dolgellau) of every month. Dolgellau Farmers’ Market is not held in January or February.
Or come and stock up at the Thursday Market for your trip home. It’s every Thursday morning 10am-2.00pm in the Royal Ship Hotel in the centre of Dolgellau. You can stay for a cup of tea or coffee and a chat, and browse the craft stalls too.